Animator and Cartoonist
Courses & Eligibility
Animation is fast becoming one of the most popular courses not only in India but in other countries as well. It provides candidates with wonderful opportunity to express their talent and creativity. The following is a list of Animation Courses that one can pursue:
- Bachelor in Design ( Animation)
- B Sc Animation and Design
- Advance Diploma in 3D Animation
- Advance Diploma in Game Art
- Bachelor of Art in Digital Media
- Diploma in Animation Arts
- Diploma in Fusion Animation
- Diploma in VFX and Animation
Interestingly like any other creative career, there are successful people in the field of Animation also who do not have any formal qualification. However it is always better to have formal qualification to do well in Animation as a career. Once can undergo either a diploma course or a degree course in animation. The basic eligibility criteria for any animation course is that candidates need to have completed their intermediate (10+2). Candidates, who have already graduated preferably from arts background, can apply for the Post Graduation in animation courses. However some renowned institutes allow only graduates from Architecture, Technology and Engineering background or Fine Arts to go ahead with the PG courses. Having an artistic side to a person always is desired as a base skill for becoming an animator along with the basic computer skills.
One can go for short term courses which range from 6 months to one year or the diploma courses that range from 2 to 3 years. There are lots of institutes which provide with animation course but most of them require candidates to undergo an entrance test. Some of the entrance examinations meant for Animation Career are as follows:
- National School of Design Animation Entrance Exam
- IIT Bomaby Design Entrance CEED and UCEED
The Animation Course fee usually differs and varies from institute to institute. However, in general, the fees varies from Rs.50,000/- to Rs.3,00,000/- for the course duration.
NID charges a Tution fee Fee of Rs 1,20,000 per year and tota fee is Rs 2 lakhs a year. BIT Mesra Noida Campus take s a tution fee of Rs 65,000 per semester.
Top Colleges to study Animation
Some of the best animation institutes in India include:
- National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad - Set up in the year 1961, this is one of the most premier institutes of the country when it comes to animation courses. It provides undergraduate course Animation Film Design and is of four years. It also provides a Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Animation and Film Design which is of one to two years.
- Industrial Design Center – Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IDC – IIT) - IIT Bombay is without any doubts one of the premier most institutes of the nation and the courses provided by them are surely one of the best. IIT Bombay offers M Design course ( Admission is on the basis of CEED) and is going to start B Design course ( Visual Communication / Animation Design ) from year 2015. The admissions will be based on UCEED . The course deals with all the aspects of animation such as theory, drawings, anatomy, sound, visual scripting etc.
- Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology , Bangalore - The institute provides a four year professional diploma in design ( Animation and Visual Effects ). The admissions are through an aptitude test.
- St Xaviers College Kolkatta - The institute provides a 5 year integrated M sc Multimedia with Specialization in Animation with exit option at 3 years with B Sc Hons Degree.
- Fergusson College Pune ( NAAC A grade ) offers B Vocational Digital Art and Animation ( 50 seats) and B Sc Animation Self Finance (160 seats).
- Manipal University, Bangalore - The institute provides a three year Degree course and comprehensive training in Animation which includes several components such as Hands-On Workshop, Holistic Personality Enhancement, Support Skills, Traditional Skills etc.
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra - One of the most renowned institutes of the country, BIT Mesra Offers B Sc Hons Animation and Multimedia and Master in Animation Design at Ranchi, NOIDA, Jaipur campuses. The admission is through Aptitude test conducted by BIT.
- Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune - Standing for over 50 years, the institute has been providing students with diploma and certificate courses in the field of animation.
- AJK Mass Communication Research Centre,Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) University,New Delhi Offers MA visual effects and animation.
- St. Joseph's College Bangalore ( Autonomous ) offers B Voc Animation and Digital Media. The admission is through an entrance test.